Wednesday, July 1, 2009

PUT THE CAN BACK INTO CANADA

Today when I woke up I didn't remember it was Canada Day at all until I went down the street for lunch. For some of us, we are American's caught in Canadian bodies, yearning the day a green card will fall out of the sky into our hand. Isn't that awful? Perhaps for politicians, Canada Day is like Christmas for children; or like Rosh Hashanah for Jews. But because I don't have any children, I couldn't paint Canadian flags on their cheeks and take them to a parade. The lady who runs the kitschy coffee shop down the street from my parents' house had taped up a few Canadian flags and randomly stuck up some blown up Canada Day balloons that said "Happy Canada Day" on them.  Tomorrow they will just look like blood stained condoms. She had also baked special cupcakes topped with red and white sprinkles and complete with a Canadian flag stuck in the middle! How adorable, especially more so because she is from Florida.

1 comment: